Credit: 1 AIA LU/HSW, PDH
Passive fire protection systems such as fire-rated floor doors provide incredibly important life-safety measures in commercial buildings. This course will discuss construction access products, the difference between active and passive fire protection, and how fire-rated floor doors provide passive protection. We will also explain 2021 International Building Code requirements for fire-rated floor doors and how they differ from fire-rated access doors. Finally, you will learn about a project where fire-rated floor doors were used in a large New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority project.
By the end of the course, you will be able to do the following:
- Examine how construction access products are used in commercial building applications and the importance of passive fire protection systems.
- Learn how floor fire doors and access doors are used for fire-rated applications and the differences between products available on the market.
- Identify the key features to look for when specifying floor doors for fire-rated applications.
- Understand the applicable fire protection codes that apply to the use of floor access doors in fire-rated applications.
Explore applications for fire-rated floor doors and a case study where they were used in a massive rail station project.
- Complete the learning materials located under course content.
- Once you have completed the course content, you will need to take the quiz. You must pass the quiz with a score of 70% or higher to receive credit for the course; AIA credit earned will be reported for you.
- You have unlimited attempts to take the quiz to achieve the minimum score of 70%.
- After completing the quiz, your certificate and course survey will be available for you to download.