Credit: 1 AIA LU/HSW, PDH
Facing brick are intended for use in both structural and nonstructural masonry, including veneer, where appearance is a requirement. Face brick are not only used for structural purposes and aesthetics, they also increase energy efficiency and are economical. You’ve likely specified face brick on homes, commercial buildings, fireplaces, entry walls/gates, multifamily developments, retail developments, and schools/universities. It comes in a wide selection of color, texture, and size options for a customized look and feel. Specifically intended for long-term application, face brick requires little maintenance and minimizes the amount of energy needed to heat and cool a building.
By the end of the course, you will be able to do the following:
- Examine the requirements of face brick for use in exterior exposures.
- Identify the test methods employed to determine brick’s physical properties.
- Appreciate why brick, a product made from naturally-occurring materials, has inherent imperfection.
- Understand the measurement methods used to determine brick size and shape.
- Complete the learning materials located under course content.
- Once you have completed the course content, you will need to take the quiz. You must pass the quiz with a score of 70% or higher to receive credit for the course; AIA credit earned will be reported for you.
- You have unlimited attempts to take the quiz to achieve the minimum score of 70%.
- After completing the quiz, your certificate and course survey will be available for you to download.