Credit: 1 AIA LU/HSW
Just in the past five years, environmental concerns have quickly expanded beyond sustainability metrics such as carbon emissions and life cycle to the wider effects of climate change and how extreme weather events and drastic temperature swings are affecting the global population. It’s become clear that while producing more sustainable products is vital, these products must also be designed for resiliency to ensure that structural stability and life safety are maintained in the event of severe weather such as fire, hurricanes, flooding, extreme cold, and heat. Innovative manufacturers have stepped up to produce fiber cement that is not only sustainable but has the flexibility to function in a broad range of climate zones with weather-, fire-, and pest resistance while offering expansive design options. This course will discuss the growing need for resilient building products and how continuous improvement and innovation from fiber cement manufacturers are helping to meet this need.
By the end of the course, you will be able to do the following:
- Understand how consumer input, community engagement, environmental concern, and safety are key drivers of innovation for fiber cement manufacturers.
- Review the importance of moisture management in the building envelope and some of the most common cladding options.
- Explore innovative fiber cement products that are engineered for climate, as well as installation best practices that will ensure the longevity and continued durability of the material.
- Examine the sustainability characteristics of fiber cement and how it can contribute to projects seeking green building certification.
- Complete the learning materials located under course content.
- Once you have completed the course content, you will need to take the quiz. You must pass the quiz with a score of 70% or higher to receive credit for the course; AIA credit earned will be reported for you.
- You have unlimited attempts to take the quiz to achieve the minimum score of 70%.
- After completing the quiz, your certificate and course survey will be available for you to download.